A Faculty is an “ecclesiastical licence” which gives parishes permission to carry out works to church buildings, their contents and churchyards. Its purpose is to ensure that works are carried out in a sympathetic manner that respects the building’s theological, architectural, historical and archaeological heritage.

Application for a faculty is made via a faculty application form (or forms). Once the completed application has been received, it will be considered by the Diocesan Advisory Committee (DAC), which consists of a panel of building specialists, and then forwarded on to the Diocesan Chancellor, who makes the decision on whether or not to grant the faculty.

Each Diocese of the Church in Wales operates the faculty system in its own area. Applications for a faculty are therefore made through the diocese in which the church is located. This is normally done by first contacting Kate Lawless at the Llandaff Care of Churches department to discuss the application. She will advise which of the faculty application forms need to be submitted and what additional documentation (such as specifications, photographs, plans, etc) may also be required.

You will need a faculty for most works to a church or churchyard, although some minor works and maintenance tasks are exempt. Click on the links below to view guidance on how to apply for a faculty, frequently asked questions (FAQs), and minor & emergency works:
How to Apply for a Faculty