Ministry Support Scheme
Financial support during Covid-19
Thanks to the continued generosity of the Church in Wales, we are pleased to announce further updates to the Ministry Support Scheme, financial packages that will help churches manage the ongoing financial impact of Coronavirus. Diocese of Llandaff are using these grants to fund additional Ministry Support Schemes to help Ministry Areas.
Overview of the scheme
1, All churches will receive another grant
- All churches will receive a grant equating to 35% of their Fairer Share for Quarter 3 (July, August and September 2020).
- The grant will be payable directly to the Ministry Area in early October.
2, Covid-19 Reimbursement Scheme (previously the Emergency Support Fund)
- Targeted support is available to help Ministry Areas, where there has been significant impact directly caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.
- A reimbursement grant may be awarded to the Ministry Area (or church within it) towards loss of income, while it has remained active in ministry serving the whole community, especially foodbanks, debt advice etc.
- Loss of income is likely to be from cancellation of key fund-raising events, hall rental income and income from visitors.
- A two-stage process is in place for bids up to £2,500, and for bids up to £10,000. All applications can be made using the single point of access on our Diocesan Web page. NB. more information will be required for bids up to £10,000.
How do I apply?
Please read the criteria before completing the application form. If you have any questions, please contact Mark Brampton.
3, Support for our Cathedral
The Diocesan Board of Finance (DBF) is awarding a supplementary grant to the Cathedral as the Mother Church of our diocese. The Cathedral is particularly severely impacted by the loss of revenue from large diocesan services and concerts.
4, Providing longer term financial support
The remainder of the RB funds will go towards providing longer term financial support for Ministry Areas. Various proposals are being considered by the DBF as how best to provide support to Ministry Areas into Q4. Future support may be in the form of further grants, loans or forgiveness of debts (such as arrears).
Future support will be prioritized to assisting Ministry Areas as they progress with their financial resilience. A framework of review could include:
- A review of ministry area finances, assets and stewardship activities.
- Analysis of the measures the ministry area has undertaken to minimise financial impact, such as reduction of operational costs, effectiveness of giving campaigns and income generation.
- Evidence of moving towards ministry areas.
- Existence of a plan for the life of the ministry area, including a financial plan and delivery of the Diocesan Vision Where Faith Matters.
- Evidence of a spiritual and community energy to tell joyful stories, build capacity for good, and grow the Kingdom of God. Where there is no energy there, consideration will be given to planting a resource church or closing the building and facilitating that process sensitively.
- Strategic location: is there a Hub Church or a Visitor Church that is worth preserving for architectural, historical, community, or income-generating reasons, and can turn tourists into pilgrims?